Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Shia-Sunni divide

The Sunni-Shia divide is becoming one of the most important issues driving international affairs today, but away from Muslim countries it's not well understood. The origins are theological but now it is more and more political. Anyway, NPR is doing a good series looking at both the politics and theology. There will be more radio reports put up today and tomorrow, but there is already plenty to read and listen to on their special pages for the series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen quite a few Sunni-Shia maps recently, so I thought I'd pedantically point out that your's looks a bit dodgy. I'm reasonably sure that, for example, Qatar is predominantly Sunni, whilst the 'Shia bit' within the UAE lies directly across my weekend crag commute ... I can assure you there is nuttin' but sand out there.